Contact us hero image

Frequently Asked Questions

When you’re searching for the right long-term rental to call home when relocating to Barbados, we are here to help. Your TERRA Agent belongs to a team of knowledgeable professionals who will show you an assortment of real estate options that suit your budget and preferences. Finding your new home in Barbados will be easy and seamless.

What is the typical standard lease?
Usually 12 months, in some cases there may be 24 or 36 months leases. Most leases will include an option to renew for an additional 12 months.

What currency are leases usually in?
Residential leases are typically in Barbados Dollars.

What is the typical deposit/payment required on signing a lease?
Usually the first month’s rent and a security deposit equal to one month’s rent. The security deposit will be returned at the maturity of the lease. In some instances, a Landlord may want the first month’s rent, last month’s rent and a security deposit at signing (3 months total).

When is the security deposit retuned for a long-term rental?
The security deposit is returned at the maturity of the lease after the home is inspected by the landlord and any outstanding expenses are paid.

How can I pay the initial deposit?
Initial deposit can be paid by wire transfer, cheque and we are also in a position to take payments by VISA or Mastercard.

To whom is the initial deposit paid?
The initial deposit can be paid to TERRA and we will then transfer the funds to the Landlord.
Subsequent rent payments will be made to the landlord. Your TERRA agent will ensure you have any relevant banking details in advance.

What options are there if inspecting the property before arrival is not possible?
We would suggest that you discuss this directly with your TERRA Agent to ensure that the best possible solution is put in place.

Do your rentals come furnished?
This will be on a case-by-case basis. See details on the individual property.

How much notice is generally required to schedule a viewing of a property?
There is a minimum requirement of 24 hours notice where properties are tenanted.  However, we are happy to make a request on short notice.
For weekend showings please give us 48 hours notice so we can ensure landlords can facilitate.

We like the place; can we have it without the furniture that’s in there?
Some owners are flexible and willing to make that adjustment, but we can verify this with the landlord before signing an agreement.

Are pets allowed at rental properties?
Generally, pets are allowed but this varies from Landlord to Landlord. Your TERRA Agent can confirm this on any specific property. If you require information on bringing in pets from overseas, there is information available under useful links to facilitate this.

Do properties have insect screens?
In our tropical island climate, it is not unusual to have small insects flying in and through our homes. Some properties are fitted with window screens to keep this to a minimum. Your TERRA Agent can confirm if the particular property has screens.

Is high speed internet and cable available?
Yes, service is provided via FLOW & Digicel. Please see the download link to get further information. Your TERRA Agent will be able to confirm the features of each property upon viewing.

Does the rental price include maintenance of the garden and/or pool?
Some landlords may include the pool and garden maintenance. However, this is on an individual property basis. Your TERRA Agent can confirm this information on any property you may be interested in.

Does the rental price include utilities?
Many landlords will cover the cost of the water bill, but this is not a given. We can confirm with the potential landlord to see if they cover the cost of any utilities before signing your rental agreement.

What services are usually transferred?
Telephone/Internet/Cable as well as electricity can be transferred into the tenant’s name

Can you transfer the water bill into the Tenants name?
Water bills always remain in the Owner’s name and will either be delivered to the house or passed along to the tenant from the owner or their property manager for the tenant to pay, unless there is an agreement whereby the water is included in the rental rate.

How to Transfer Mobile/TV/Broadband/Home Phone?
FLOW & Digicel require a letter or Tenant Advice form, from the owner and from the tenant. The letter from the owner authorizes a temporary transfer of their account into the name of the tenant. The letter from the tenant will be accepting responsibility re owner’s request. The tenant then takes the letters to FLOW/Digicel office with their ID and a copy of owner’s ID and FLOW/Digicel will facilitate the transfer.